As you can see, we finally had the baby! We welcomed Luke Andrew Hoffmann into the world on October 27th. It was a very long and hard labor and process. We had gone for a walk Saturday evening to get some family/belly pictures outdoors, knowing that it might be t
he last opportunity to do that. We did a mild hike, only to find out that the camera was out of batteries. It was a good thing we charged them when we got home, because I started cramping that evening in my back. They came and went all night, but I didn't realize I was going into labor until Sunday late afternoon. My contractions were all in my lower back and were not following a pattern at all. By 8:00, they were fairly regular and I KNEW that I was indeed in labor. We timed them out and called the hospital a few times. I finally couldn't take it, and by 3:00 in the morning we were driving to the hospital. They admitted me right away. At that time they were 5-9 minutes apart, but very strong. By morning I was enduring 3-5 minute long contractions in my back (no joke- the nurse told me she never
sees that) and boy were they ever strong. I was only dilated to 1 at that point, so I wasn't "ready" for an epidural (ha, ha). When I wasn't dilating any more, we conferred with my doctor and everyone at the hospital and decided that this baby could be too big, so a c-section was our best bet. Even though I didn't want a c-section I was so tired and exhausted and in such pain that I agreed. I was supposed to go into surgery at 4:30, so I was given a spinal to "hold me over". It did the trick for the 2 hours that it was supposed to. I was still having monster contractions, but I wasn't feeling them. We both got some sleep, waiting for 4:30 to arrive. It did, but of course they were not ready for us in the OR. Meanwhile, my medicine was wearing off, so I was stuck in bed with my legs half dead, waiting to go, having more killer contractions. The icing was on the cake when the nurse said "were re
ady!" and began to wheel me out, only to see a whole group of people wheeling another girl to the elevator ahead of me. An emergency I was told- I had to wait for even longer. By the time I got down to the OR it was 6:00. I was nervous about the c-section, but anxious to see the baby. Luke Andrew Hoffmann arrived at 6:35 pm, pooping and peeing all over Dr. H. on the way to the warmer! Andy and I were so excited- he was beautiful. Eyes were wide open, fair skin color, nice round head. Andy went with Luke up to the nursery while they finished working on me. I was told later that it killed Andy for us to be separated while I was in recovery, and he would not leave the nursery until I could see him. No one could see him or know anything about him until I got to see him. I don't really remember much of that time, but I do remember Andy bringing Luke out into the hallway for the first time. Andy and I felt so blessed, and we shared some nice moments as a family for the first time that I will treasure forever. I have a whole new love and respect for Andy that I would have never known until we had a child together. The love we have for Luke is something that I can't explain, and the
hard labor was all worth it. I would do it all over again, no question.
In recovery the surgeon came up to me and asked me if I had a guess as to what Luke weighed. Since that was the million dollar question weeks before he was born, I was eager to hear. 8 lbs. 6oz. WOW!!!! No wonder why he wasn't coming into this worl
d without surgery! We still shake our heads at that one. How could he ever weigh that much???
Luke is beautiful, and we are in such love with him. It has been a busy week and weekend, filled with best wishes and visits from family and friends. We are still getting used to our new lives, including middle of the night feedings and poopy diapers, kisses and cuddles. We are loving being parents, and feel so blessed to have Luke in this world with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment