Saturday, June 27, 2009

Back Where I Come From!


We were in Fargo in June to visit family and to go see our favorite performer, Kenny Chesney in concert. Kenny Chesney is someone who Andy and I started following back in 2002, and have seen him 11 times in concert now. We knew that we wanted to squeeze in at least one Kenny show this year, and since Auntie Heather offered to baby-sit, it was going to be Fargo for Kenny this year!
We had a great time on our date night, and only called Auntie Heather 5 times (does texting count?????). Kenny was great as usual. A highlight of the night was to see the "Back Where I Come From" video. Since I've been in North Dakota twice in the last month and spent a lot of time with family, following the loss of my dad, I've grown to be just a little extra homesick from than usual. Kenny always has a moment during the song "Back Where I Come From" when he shows images on the big screen from wherever he is playing that night. Usually the Minnesota shows I'll cheer when the local landmarks are shown, but the North Dakota shows....

I've always felt a connection with the song, written by songwriter Mac McAnally, which is all about growing up in small town America, where "clocks tick and the cattle graze and time passed with amazing grace"- the songs seems to capture where I spent the first 22 years of my life. But the words "back where I come from, where I'll be when it's said and done. I'm proud as anyone, back where I come from" have taken on a new meaning for me in the last month, watching my dad laid to rest in the place where he was born and ran around as a child and teenager. I am proud to have grown up in North Dakota. It was a great place to grow up, and I'm sure that my dad would agree with that.
We spent some quality time this weekend with Auntie Heather, and my grandma. Luke received lots of love and attention...


Overall, a great weekend!

No comments: